"Change, when it comes, cracks everything open."
Dorothy Allen

Saturday, February 18, 2012

Scout, Jem, Atticus and Boo....

Tomorrow, I am going to see To Kill a Mockingbird on the big screen.  The movie theater here plays a classic movie about once or twice a month.  You may recall, some friends and I went to see White Christmas in December.  January was Bridge over the River Kwai (which I have never seen, but hear good things about from my mom and dad.)  This month is To Kill a Mockingbird.

This is definitely one of my top 3 favorite books of all time, if not my very favorite.  If Sawyer had been a boy, her name very likely would have been Atticus.  I would have loved to have named her Scout, but Demi Moore ruined that for the rest of us. 

I think I first read the book when I was in high school.  I loved it from the very beginning.  There are parts of the book that gives me shivers.  The good kind.  I always, ALWAYS cry when Tom Robinson dies. 

I saw the movie much later, and loved it too.  Gregory Peck is the perfect Atticus.  The little girl that plays Scout is adorable and precocious, and absolutely perfect.  It isn't the same as the book.

It has been a couple of years since I read it.  I should read it again.  Tonight. 

Anyway, tomorrow, I am seeing the movie with my girls.  I hope they all love it as much as I do. Can't wait to see you all, ladies.

"I wanted you to see what real courage is, instead of getting the idea that courage is a man with a gun in his hand.  It's when you know you're licked before you begin but you begin anyway and you see it through no matter what.  You rarely win, but sometimes you do." 
~Harper Lee, To Kill a Mockingbird, Chapter 11, spoken by the character Atticus
Rosie N. Grey
The N stands for "nothing like watching on the big screen."

No comments:

Post a Comment