"Change, when it comes, cracks everything open."
Dorothy Allen

Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Inspiration

On Saturday of the long weekend, Geoff and I went to a wedding.  Honestly, it is the first wedding that we have been to in about 3 years.  Most of our friends are already married, and the next weddings we will likely be attending are their kids.  :)

It was nice to get dressed up, and see everyone from work looking all spiffy and dudded up.  The wedding itself was very nice.  The bride did an amazing job of planning exactly what she wanted, and it was filled with lots of personal touches that just yelled her name.  She worked hard and it showed. 

At the reception, after an amazing meal, we started mingling with a lot of our co-workers, chatting and gossiping.  Of course, everyone had had a few drinks, so our chatting was funny and hilarious.  And eventually, as it is wont to do, our conversations occasionally turned serious.

It was during one such conversation that someone gave me one of the nicest compliments I have ever received in my life.  She told me that I inspire her.  More specifically, that my blog, and my posts about Sebastian, inspired her.  She talked about how she was having a horrible time at work, some of the worst days ever.  She stumbled across my blog, through a link from a friend's blog, and sat for hours, reading and reading and learning about me and my life.  And at the end, she told me that she had a whole new mindset.  She walked away, thinking "I can do this.  I can live through this.  I am better than this."

And all because of my words.  My writing.  My life.

If I hadn't been sitting at a table in the middle of a wedding, I probably would have cried.  I get misty thinking about it now.  I have never been paid a compliment like that in my life.  I can never thank her enough...first for thinking it, and second, for telling me.

She encouraged me to write.  She told me that I should do it for a living.  And everything she said rang true in my soul. 

With my positive thinking initiative, I have been working towards trying to figure out exactly what it is that I want in my life, so that I can work my way towards it, that I can plan for it, and envision it, wish for it and dream about it.  And yes, writing plays a big part of that.  Being creative, creating, doing, learning, teaching, sharing...all of it.  That's what I want. 

So thanks Nicole.  You were my external validation.  I am going to try and blog more regularly.  I am going to try and write from the heart.  I am going to try and tell my stories. 

Hope you are all buckled in for the ride.  :)

Rosie N. Grey
The N stands for "new inspiration".

No comments:

Post a Comment