"Change, when it comes, cracks everything open."
Dorothy Allen

Wednesday, May 23, 2012

New School of Thought

Geoff and I got some awesome news about 2 weeks ago.  Sebastian has been confirmed for his private school in the fall.

The Director of the therapy centre where Sebastian goes, Brick by Brick, is creating a school specially geared towards kids with autism.  And Sebastian is going. 

I am so thrilled, I can't even express it.

We had gotten to the point with Sebastian where we were considering homeschooling him.  He is pretty unhappy with his school.  While he likes his classmates, and some of the EAs, he doesn't like the structure, the teacher or a million other things.  He doesn't argue as much when we try and put him on the bus, there are still days when he is very, very sad to be going.  It breaks my heart to send him. 

If I truly believed his school was helping to improve his learning and his quality of life, I would push through the negative feelings he has, and work on getting him to the point where he could go, be happy and learn.  I would work with the teachers and EAs to make sure that they were capable and willing to provide the type of support that Sebastian needs, so that everyone had maximum benefit from his time there.  But most of my interactions have not been beneficial and productive.  So, I have started looking for alternatives. And we found one...a great one.

The school will have about 5 kids in it.  Lots of one on one time.  A central teacher, and lots of EAs to help with the lessons.  A shorter work day (about 9-1 or 2pm) but an extended year (no summer break means no break in routine).

I think this is going to work for my boy.  I really, really do.  I am taking him out of a toxic environment, and putting him into a nurturing one.  I am replacing indifference with understanding.  I am making the right decision to improve the quality of the rest of his life.

This makes me feel like a good mom.  And I will take that feeling every time I can get it.

Rosie N. Grey
The N stands for "new school of thought".

No comments:

Post a Comment