"Change, when it comes, cracks everything open."
Dorothy Allen

Friday, July 8, 2011

Class and Culture

For the past 3 years, a group of my friends and I have attended the Shakespeare in the Vineyard plays, at Henry of Pelham Winery in St. Catharines. 

It started because the proceeds go to the Niagara Peninsula Children's Centre.  Sebastian spent his first (and best!) 4 years of school there.  The people are amazing, the principal and teachers are so kind and welcoming.  They spoiled me for other schools.  Whenever we go back there, Sebastian is treated like a rockstar.  People are literally leaving their classrooms and running into the halls to say hi and hug him.  I see some of the teachers and EA's out and about now, and they always hug me and remember me and the kids and all kinds of things.  It is a true community feeling, very giving and warm.  It makes me not like Sebastian's current school that much more- but that is another story, for another time.

Anyway, I did (and still do) support pretty much anything that involved the NPCC, and this seemed fun and cool and kind of cultured, plus it benefitted one of my favorite places in the world.  I asked some friends if they might be interested in going.  To my relief, they immediately said yes!

I know Shakespeare isn't for everyone.  I haven't read all his plays, but I have my favorites.  Taming of the Shrew, Romeo and Juliet are 2 that come immediately to mind.  The last 2 years, I haven't known the plays as well, that were preformed at SitV, but this year, to my absolute delight, they are performing Midsummer Night's Dream, one of my very, very favorites!!

I was a little intimidated by going to see Shakespeare.  I can usually puzzle it out when I read it, and while I might not understand every word, I can catch the drift and meaning of the play.  I can recognize what is funny and what is not and enjoy the story.  But watching it live, without the benefit of reading and re-reading, I was worried I would get lost and not understand what was going on.  I was also nervous that everyone else would hate it and me, because it was my idea to go see something that made us all feel like idiots.

Sooooo not the case.  It is actually very easy to follow along.  For anyone intimidated by this, I highly reccommend you go and try it.  Last year was Twelth Night.  I had never read it, knew nothing about the play, but it was hilarious and wonderful.  The first year was....I honestly can't remember. Crap!  Anyway, we still had fun, enough fun that it has now become an annual event.

So, as I embark on my Shakespearian adventure with my lovely ladies, Lynnie and Dawn, I will bid you all adieu.

"My heart is true as steel." Act II, Scene 1.

Rosie N. Grey
The N stands for "Nick Bottom, who else?"

No comments:

Post a Comment