"Change, when it comes, cracks everything open."
Dorothy Allen

Thursday, March 8, 2012

Women's Day

Today was International Women's Day.  I am, kinda, the co-chair of the Women's Day committee at work.  We had an event today.  It was actually very nice and fun and relaxed.

We had a bunch of ladies, and even a couple of men, gathered together.  Everyone had a t-shirt made, with a saying on it.  They were all selected because of their ability to adapt and overcome different circumstances, like being a single mom with a full time job, coming back from maternity leave, understanding how to put themselves first (when that is so hard for so many of us to do), dealing with special family dynamics, understanding health and wellness and importance to every one's life and etc, etc, etc.  They picked a saying based on their skills or what inspires them.  Mine said "I have a "special" family." 

We all wore red, to bring attention to women's heart health.  We handed out red Gerber daisies to everyone (men included) and red velvet cupcakes.  (I brought 2 of each home for the kids.  They both loved the flowers, but broke both of the stems within about an hour of getting them.)

We also had a series of words cut out.  They were self esteem words, that people could select and post at their desks, to give them a pick-me-up, whenever they need one.  I picked some words myself, including "natural", "simplicity", "family", "friends", "strong", and "capable".

People filtered in throughout the day and chatted together.  People would read the sayings on our t-shirts and ask questions.  We handed out flowers and yummy cupcakes.  It got to the point that our volunteers were handing inspiring words to people, telling them "when I think of you, this is the word that I think of."  And they actually meant it sincerely, and not with sarcasm. :)  People were touched by the thoughts and everyone seemed to enjoy the day.

It is so nice to be involved in these events.  Not only is it a break from the day to day grind of work and John, but it inspires me.  I start to see people that I work with in a different light.  I see the good in people.  It's nice for a change.

Happy Women's Day, everyone.  I hope someone, somewhere, inspired you, or was inspired by you.  I hope you were treated with respect.  I hope your light was shining. 

Rosie N. Grey
The N stands for "now, if only every day were Women's Day."

No comments:

Post a Comment