"Change, when it comes, cracks everything open."
Dorothy Allen

Friday, July 13, 2012

The Fruits of my Labour

I have a garden.  It's not as big or as diverse or as well maintained as I would like, but it's mine and I like it.  My dad and I built it together and my dad puts lots of the veggies in for me in the spring and early summer.  My favourite time of year is harvest.  As we pick the fruits of our labour, and enjoy it at our table, it gives me a feeling in my gut and heart and soul.  One of purse satisfaction and joy.  That I have provided, however small, for my family.  I have done so with my hands and sweat and energy.
my first 2 zucchini this year
  The fact that the kids don't often eat much but the fruit is only a little worrisome.  I try not to let it ruin the moment. :)

Herb garden, gone a little wild.
Purple coneflowers, oregano, primrose.
I can remember the name of the orange one!
I have been pretty clear in the past about what I want to do with my future.  I want to homestead.  I want to raise as much of my own fruit and veg as possible. I would like to have chickens and other animals.  I would like a stream near by, where we could fish, and a horse that I can ride.  I want to solar power my farm, be completely off the grid and self sustained.  I want my kids to have Huck Finn childhoods.
Raspberries are ready.  Hooray!

So, until that day rolls around, I make due with my little patch. I am grateful for every little piece of independence that I can reap from it.

Rosie N. Grey
The N stands for "next harvest, coming soon".

2 comments:

  1. Looks good. Any little bit that you can grow on your own, that's that much less you have to buy from the store. Good on ya!
    I have a feeling that someday soon, the homesteaders will be the most successful people around, so stick with your dream and keep moving toward it.
    ~Sunfire

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Connie. I am always surprised by how many like minded people I have found through blogs and other groups. It is gratifying to know and there is so much I can learn from them!

      Delete