"Change, when it comes, cracks everything open."
Dorothy Allen

Saturday, January 28, 2012

My favourite things

I sometimes forget some of my favourite things, until I actually run across them.  I know that sounds ridiculous, but it's true.  It's like a song, that I completely forget about, until I hear it, and I remember that I know all the words, and it reminds me of a time in my life that I want to remember. 

So, to help remind myself, here are some of my favourite things:
- the smell of hyacinths, lilacs and sweet peas
- strawberries
- that first stretch as I finally lay down in bed, under the covers, comfortable and warm at last
- a hot bath with bubbles and book
- diet Pepsi on ice
- pepperoni pizza with double cheese (I just rediscovered this simple classic.  :)
- The Belgariad and Mallorean series by David Eddings
- Bad Company
- long drives down back roads
- colouring
- knitting things, and finishing them
- fresh flowers in my house
- the smell of baking, whether cookies, bread, pies...doesn't matter, it all smells wonderful
- Northern Exposure
- A day off work
- Sleeping in
- Bacon and eggs
- A pedicure
- Cold beer on a hot day
- A sunburned nose
- Laughing so hard my face and stomach hurt
- Bruce Springsteen
- Being pregnant
- Puppies and kittens
- A clean house, vacuum lines in my carpet, not footprints on the kitchen floor
- The window open when I am sleeping
- Camp fires
- Having a best friend and telling our secrets
- Having someone tell me that I am amazing, that I have done a good job
- Grocery day
- The excitement and anticipation of waiting for something- like a holiday, vacation or a surprise
- Not working on my birthday
- Sebastian
- Sawyer
- Having animals in the house
- Helping someone, knowing I have done the right thing, even if no one else knows
- Losing 5 pounds
- The smell of the ocean
- Sandy toes
- Getting mail that isn't a bill or an advert
- Being good at something
- Old maps
- Pictures of my kids
- Finding a treasure at a flea market, antique store, garage sale...somewhere I didn't expect it
- Planning and getting new tattoos
- Having money in the bank
- Getting a full night sleep, and waking up feeling rested
- How I feel about myself when I exercise regularly
- Buffalo chicken anything
- The days where you really didn't have anything specific in mind, and it's all kind of last minute, and you aren't sure what's going on or whose going to be there...and you end up having the best day EVER.
- Family get-togethers, with no drama
- Turkey dinner with all the fixings
- The perfect cup of tea
- Hearing songs on the radio that I haven't heard in years
- The smell of movie popcorn
- Going to the drive-in with friends, with the dog in the car, and kids in their pjs, with snacks and drinks and so much laughing and fun
- Having a good dream, that I don't want to wake up from
- Getting my hair done
- Re-reading my favourite books, or finding a new favourite
- Quarter bingo at the carnivals
- An outdoor concert, when I can just sit on the blanket in the grass, with beer in a plastic cup, singing along to every song I know
- Back and foot rubs
- Presents...making, buying, giving, even getting...the only thing I don't like is the wrapping
- Fresh sheets on the bed
- Enchilada Chicken Suiza at Mexicali Rosa's
- Hearing from an old friend, out of the blue

So...that's some of it.  I think a list like this might help on those days, when it's hard to remember why I have to get out of bed, and why I have to be nice to other people. 

This blog, my friend's blogs, and the blogs I keep finding are quickly becoming my favorite things too. 

Rosie N. Grey
The N stands for "new favourites, coming every day."

No comments:

Post a Comment