"Change, when it comes, cracks everything open."
Dorothy Allen

Tuesday, January 24, 2012

On my bedside table

I have a pretty substantial reading list on my bedside table.  My intention is to read, absorb and put to work at least some of the information in each of the books resting there, hopefully within the next couple of months.


Yes, the picture on top is me and Sebastian.  It was a Christmas present from Geoff.  I love it.

So, what I am reading?
- Handmade Home by Amanda Blake Soule.  Holly got me this for Christmas.  I have flipped through it, and am excited to try some of the projects.
- One Year to an Organized Life by Regina Leeds.  I have had this for months.  I need to get started.  Can't wait.
- Simplicity Parenting by Kim John Payne.  Again, had it for months, haven't started.  Boo to me.  But again, super excited.
- Last Child in the Woods by Richard Louv.  I have been hearing and reading about his book for years.  I just got it, and I am so grateful.
- The Way I See It by Temple Grandin.  I picked this up 2 years ago at the Geneva Centre Autism Conference in TO.  I had completely forgotten about it, until a little while ago, when I found it again.  I am in awe of Temple, so this holds alot of hope and excitement for me.
- The Mindful Way through Depression.  This is one of the 2 books that I am actually reading right now.  This was loaned to me by a concerned and loving friend.  I am finding it very helpful and interesting, so I am grateful for the loan.  <3
- Above All, Be Kind by Zoe Weil.  This is another gift from Holly, from Christmas.  I started this and LOVE IT!!  I had mentioned this in a previous post, about building a sense of reverence in your children.  I think this has a lot of useful, and realistic information that I can't wait to put to use.  Thanks Holly!
- How to Behave so your PreSchooler Will, Too by Sal Severe.  I picked this up for $3.00 at a discount book store about 2 years ago.  Apparently I saw the writing on the wall.  I had been about half way through it, but now, I have to start all over again.  I think it will be worth it.
- I love Dirt! by Jennifer Ward.  I just got this one too, along with the Last Child in the Woods.  It has activities outside for each season, to help instill a love of nature (and dirt) in your children.  I have started some of them with Sawyer (we hunt for nests in naked, winter trees, and have feeders out for the birds.)  This is one that I will visit over and over again, I think.

There is one more, that isn't on my bedside table.  It's in the bathroom, beside the tub.  That's my other favorite reading spot, in a hot, bubbly tub.  And there, I am reading Debt Free Forever by Gale Vaz-Oxlade.  If you love "til Debt Do Us Part" you would love this book.  Very straight forward, easy to read and scary to implement.  I am pysching myself up to do it (and preparing Geoff too!)

So, that's what's on my to-do list.  And no, none of this includes my 2 monthly book club books.  This month, the work book club is reading Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen and my personal book club is reading The Virgin Cure by Ami McKay.  I read them both in a day and a half.  Don't worry, I still did all my chores and OT.  I just stayed up a little later and lost a little sleep.  Yeah me. 

So, what are you reading?

Rosie N. Grey
The N stands for "never too many books".

No comments:

Post a Comment