"Change, when it comes, cracks everything open."
Dorothy Allen

Sunday, July 24, 2011

14. Go to a carnival. Play bingo. Eat burgers and cotton candy.

Friday night, Geoff, the kids and I went to the St. David's carnival.

Most years, we do the circuit- Chippawa and Stamford in June, Optomist and St. David's in July.  And any others we can find along the way.  But this year, we have missed all but this one.   I am glad we made it to this one though.

I love carnivals.  I love the smells, the sights and the sounds.  The small town feel of it.  This one didn't disappoint.

We brought the wheelchair for Sebastian, because I knew the uneven ground would make him nervous.  We get looks with a kid in a wheelchair, but that's too be expected.  A lady from SNAP took our family picture for the August paper.  Who knows, maybe we will make it in.  Sawyer and Geoff ate corn on the cob, Sebastian and I had fries, and we all had burgers.  I bought raffle tickets and played quarter bingo (won $7, too!)  Geoff and Sawyer went in the fun house, and Sawyer rode the train.  We had a slice of pie made by ladies from the church.  It was great.

And as we walk through, and I see the farmers, with their wives in their sundresses, and the old men with army tattoos, faded and blurred on their forearms, I can't help but be happy and grateful.  We live in a place where were have access to big cities and all the conviences and amentities that go with that, but we also have the small town mentality.  Where little kids, full of sugar and sun, can dodge in between the grown ups legs.  Where the smell of vinegar and grease compete with popcorn and candy apples.  Where the bingo tent caller can be heard across the grounds.  Where the nickel raffle is lined up around the corner.  I live in a town with grocery lotteries, and dunk tanks.  With fish ponds and crown and anchor.  People walk their dogs through the carnival and stop to let Sawyer see and pet.

I want my kids to know this part of their home town.  I want them to understand how fucking important it is.  It may be cheesy and horrible and expensive, but it represents so much more than that. 

I can't seem to put into words what I am thinking and feeling.  I'm gonna stop trying. 

Gee, I love the carnival. :)

Rosie N. Grey
The N stands for "not summer without it."

No comments:

Post a Comment