"Change, when it comes, cracks everything open."
Dorothy Allen

Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Fairies Welcome Here

I posted the other day that I wanted to build a fairy garden.  I have been thinking about it ever since, so today, we started.
This is the garden I picked for our first fairy garden.  I want to do one for Sawyer and one for Sebastian.  This one is Sawyer's.

This is a wagon full of plants I picked up.  I looked for low to the ground, smaller plants, more suitable for a fairy world.  I included:
  • Flowering Kale in Kamome Pink
  • Irish Moss
  • Stevia rebaudiana- this herb is apparently 20-40 times more sweeter than suger cane and can be used as a suger substitute.  I am going to read up more about it, but I think it would be cool to make ice tea with special fairy plants.
  • Sanvitalia
  • Lemon thyme
  • Hot pink Purslane
  • Yubi yellow portulaca
  • Speedwell
  • Curry
  • Rosemary

Fairy Garden!!  It is just started, and has a ways to go, but I am excited to just be starting.  I churned up the earth underneath, which is very tough and clay-y.  I laid newspaper, to dampen down the weeds and then laid some top soil.  I need more, but had enough for now.  You can see the path I cleared, which will eventually be a path to the cottage. 

I saw the "giant" shoe at the nursery, and thought it fit right in.  I planted ivy in it, and I hope it will grow out and spread.  The candles are going to be through the whole garden, hanging and planted.  I am hoping to get LCD lights, have mason jars filled with sand and tealights, all kinds of stuff. 

So far, most of the stuff I have in there is stuff we had around the house.  The fairy was a gift to Sawyer on her first Christmas from Geoff and Sebastian.  The birdhouse was one my dad gave me.  I want to build a fence, and I figure I can use all the spent matches that I will be using to light the candles in the garden.  As you can see, it took me 6 tries this time.

This will be the path leading up to the cottage.  You can see the news paper that I laid underneath. I laid sand on it for now, but I want to get rocks, or pebbles or glass stones or something.  It would be perfect if I could get cobble stone, or something like that.

Sawyer (in her big girl underwear and winter boots) checking out her fairy garden.  She thinks this is a rocking good idea.






This is the other side of the porch.  This will be Sebastian's garden.  I am thinking pirates or knights, or something like that.  Can't wait!!

I will keep everyone updated as this comes along!

Rosie N. Grey
The N stands for "Neverland."

1 comment: