"Change, when it comes, cracks everything open."
Dorothy Allen

Saturday, September 17, 2011

Annual Hurt

I really don't get hang overs.  I know everyone says that, but I really don't.  I have been drinking alcohol for many years (more years that I should have been, let's put it that way) and by now, I know my limits and my list of do's and don't.

DO drink water and take 2 advils before I go to bed.
DO eat before I go out.
DO let Geoff control the money.
DON'T do shots.  Ever.  Ever.
DON'T mix beer and liquor.  In fact, stay away from liquor, just stick with beer.

As long as I play by the rules, and stick to my limits (with plenty of reminders from the perpetually sober Geoff), I don't have to pay a price the following day.

Sure, lots of times I am tired- a good night sometimes doesn't end until 3 am.  Sometimes I have some gut rot, 5 pitchers of draft beer will do that to you.  But hang overs- nope, don't get them.

Except, once a year.  Once a year I do something so incredibly dumb, that I am crippled the next day.

Today was that day.  And last night, I was at Grape and Wine.

For those that don't know, the Niagara Region (where I live) is home to dozens and dozens of wineries.  We have vineyards everywhere.  So every fall, there is a 2 week celebration of all things wine. 

This weekend is the first weekend of the Festival.  Glass Tiger (yes, THAT Glass Tiger) was playing, and a group of friends from work decided to get together and go.  I, foolishly, agreed.

It was a good time, and it is always good to see my friends.  But the crux of the problem was the wine.

I don't drink wine for reason.  It makes me foggy, hurts my head and my stomach.  Last night was no exception.  Hang over, guaranteed.

So, this morning, my day began at about 10am, slowly moved forward until I finally got dressed at 1pm.  We had a birthday party this afternoon, but if we hadn't, I doubt I would have gotten dressed at all.

I am feeling fine now, and I don't really regret my slow day.  It was nice to lay a-bed, feeling a bit oogy, taking hot baths, and wearing comfy clothes.  It doesn't hurt to do it, everyone in a while. 

So, thank you, Wine Hangover 2011.  You gave me a well deserved rest.  See you next year. 

Rosie N. Grey
The N stands for "never learns".

No comments:

Post a Comment