"Change, when it comes, cracks everything open."
Dorothy Allen

Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Creating

To tie into my attempt at a homemade Christmas, I went flower arranging tonight.  Yeah me! 

I love having fresh flowers in the house, but unless I cut them out of my own garden, I very rarely have them.  They just aren't on the radar.

But a girl at work has been arranging outings as part of our Women's Network.  We go to the Watering Can, where they have instructional classes, and you get to build a flower arrangement.  They did a beautiful sunflower one for Thanksgiving, but I wasn't able to attend.  I decided to do the Christmas one (it's actually not very Christmas-y at all, more wintery.)

Today, the girl arranging it had a bunch of people drop out at the last minute.  She was trying to find some people to fill in, and bring the number back up to the minimum she needs to have a class.  For some reason, it occured to me to ask my mother-in-law, Kathy.

Today is Kit's birthday.  As Geoff described it, it's been "a weird day, but a good day."  What more could you hope for, really?  I thought that Kathy might like a bit of a distraction, plus I hadn't seen much of her lately, so I thought it would be nice to spend an evening together, doing something fun.  I didn't know if flower arranging was her thing or not, so I was a little surprised, but pleased when she said yes.  Even with the incredibly short notice.

We headed out to Vineland around 6:30.  The directions weren't great, and took us down a whole lot of back roads, in the dark.  But we made it in time, and got settled. 

It took us almost 2 hours, and some false starts but we both managed to make some pretty spectacular (if I do say so myself) floral arrangements.  They have birch logs (my favorite tree) and orchids and mums.  Lots of different pine. Rustic stars and some fruit, and voila.   Art. 

The class was alot of fun, and next time, I am bringing my mom along too.  I think she would really like it as well. 

Anyway, it was just really nice to have a night dedicated to creating beautiful things.  I think I need more of that in my life.

Thanks, Kathy, for a great time.

Rosie N. Grey
The N stands for nicely done."

No comments:

Post a Comment