"Change, when it comes, cracks everything open."
Dorothy Allen

Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Happy Hearts Day

Yesterday was Valentine's Day.  I have been sick all week, and so have both kids.  It is my week to be in the office, so that has made me even more tired at night.  But I was actually looking forward to Valentine's Day. 

Sawyer and I decorated the house about 2 weeks ago, with pretty red ribbons, and hearts and flowers.  I started working on the kids' gifts too.  I knitted a green hippo for Sebastian and a minion (from Despicable Me) for Sawyer.   I couldn't wait to give them to them.

Bastian knew the hippo was a hippo right away (I was a little worried he would mistake it for a pig.)  Sawyer loved her minion (she calls them Pickles for some inexpicable reason,  I find this hilarious, of course). 

Unfortunately, my sewing didn't stand up to Sawyer's test.  Within the first hour, she pulled the arm off.  Then came an eye and the foot.  I managed to sew them all back on tonight, and they should stand up this time.  Fingers crossed. 

Since we are being frugal and responsible, I just got Geoff a movie (one he wanted for months) and a nice card.  Geoff got me a movie (I am watching it right now, and it is disturbing and weird- it's the Harold and Kumar Christmas one.  LOL) and some coupons for foot and backrubs, my favorite things. 

For my mom and dad, the kids had made valentines at the craft nights we have been attending.  Sawyer and I made a paper mache bowl, and Sawyer definitely wanted to give it to Grammie. 

Geoff got a beautiful bouquet of flowers for his mom.  He went over and had a nice visit and chat.

All in all, it was a nice quiet day.  There were some good reminders of love and family.  Which, in the end, is all that it should be about.

I had a conversation today with someone who told me about something she had read, and it had changed her outlook and her relationship with her husband.  It was about how love is in the pauses.  It is the looks and touches and glances and silences.  So many of us think that love is doing- doing the right thing, doing the big thing, doing the surprise.  And yes, there is love in that.  But her thought, and I tend to agree, that what comes before and after the doing- that is the love.  It's how you treat each other every day.  It's the small and quiet. 

So, I wore that in my heart today.  I realized I need to do better at that.  I started with an apology and appreciation.  I will keep trying. 

So, happy valentine's day, everyone.  I hope yours was filled with love.

Rosie N. Grey
The N stands for "hearts 'N flowers"

No comments:

Post a Comment