"Change, when it comes, cracks everything open."
Dorothy Allen

Monday, May 28, 2012

Alley Oop


This song reminds me of my dad.

When we were kids, we took car rides all the time.  I remember being really young, and riding around in the red pickup truck my dad used to have.  It had a stick shift on the floor that he used to sometimes let me change for him.  I am pretty sure the radio in it was strictly AM.  We would listen to golden oldies, all the hits from the 50's and 60's.  I can still sing most of them, to this day.

There were other rides and other cars.  But the music stayed pretty much the same.  As we got older, we would get to share in the music and Adam and I would bring our tapes- Motley Crue, Twisted Sister and others, and in between Rocking Robin and Johnny Horton, we would get to listen to them. 

Geoff and the kids and I go to Wimpy's Diner for dinner once or twice a month.  They play alot of the music that my dad would play for us way back then.  And every time this song comes on the juke, I tell the kids that this is Papa's song.

This one's for you, Dad.  :)

Rosie N. Grey
The N stands for "never too old for rock and roll".

No comments:

Post a Comment