"Change, when it comes, cracks everything open."
Dorothy Allen

Friday, June 1, 2012

What is she thinking??

Yesterday, I had to run out to Walmart to buy a white shirt.  Sawyer wanted to go for the ride, so along she came.  She was good as gold while we were out, so when we were done, I asked her if she would like to take a short drive with me. 

Both the kids love going for car rides and this was a special treat, since it was just her and I, so she could pick the route and destination with no chime-in from her brother.

As we were driving, I asked where she wanted to go.  She said she had to think about it for a minute.  We rode in silence for a short while and then she said,

"Mommy, are you thinking what I am thinking?"

Not having a slightest inkling of how her mind works, it was very likely that I was not thinking what she was thinking.  I responded "I don't know, sweetie.  What are you thinking?"

She grins at me and says " I....am.....think....ing.....that....we....SHOULD CHANGE OUR HOUSE INTO A CASTLE!!!"

Yep, I can pretty much guarantee you that we weren't thinking the same thing.  Trying not to laugh (because she takes herself very seriously) I responded.

"Sawyer, that is a really cool idea.  But I think it might be a little hard to change our house into a castle right now.  Maybe we can talk about that another time, or draw some pictures at home.  But for now, do you think you can think of a place you might want to drive to?"

She was quiet for a few minutes.  I watched her carefully in the rear view mirror to make sure that I hadn't hurt her feelings.  She didn't look hurt or sad, but thoughtful. 

After a few minutes, she said " You right, Momma.  We can do an igloo instead."

How can you not love this kid? 

Rosie N. Grey
The N stands for "new igloo, coming right up."

No comments:

Post a Comment