"Change, when it comes, cracks everything open."
Dorothy Allen

Thursday, July 19, 2012

Phone Chats

I realized something about myself today.

I HATE to talk on the phone. I really do.

Oh I don't mind a quick chat, a "how do you do", a check in to see what's what, or to ask or answer a quick question.  None of that bothers me.  And I don't mind long phone calls, heart to hearts, reaching out to touch someone.  All that is good too.

But I think work has ruined the phone for me.  Conference calls, touchpoints, daily summaries...all of it makes me hate the phone.  I cringe when my phone at work rings.  I let it go to voicemail whenever possible.  We have an online communicator tool.  When I get asked to chat on that, shivers go up my spine.  I don't know why, I just simply dread it.

Geoff and I screen our calls at home all the time.  It is pretty rare that we actually answer the phone.  Geoff yells at me all the time, because I will text, when it would be easier to call.  But I can't help it.  I am much more comfortable that way.

I guess I really don't have a point to this post.  It just kind of hit me out of the blue today, as I was doing all that I could do to avoid phone calls and conference chats.  I don't know when the phone phobia started, but I really don't see an end in sight.  Maybe if I stop recieving more work load and bad news on calls, then I will stop avoiding them.

But it might take me a while to recover.

Rosie N. Grey
The N stands for "no call is a good call".


8 comments:

  1. I am not a phone person either! I would rather talk to someone face to face!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! I'm the same way. If I could find a way to eliminate my answering machine, I would. Texting me, sending me an email or message on Facebook is the quickest and most appreciated way to get in touch with me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't worry Holly, between the two of us, we may never speak on the phone again. :)

      Delete
  3. LOL!! Me too. I hate the phone. Our phone ringer is currently off! I would rather text or email. Some times it is necessary, my boss lives in Edmonton so we have to talk on the phone, but because of that, I spend most of my day on the phone, and really don't feel like talking to anyone after my work day is over! Great post!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I 100% agree. When you do it all day at work, the last thing you want is to do it at home too. I feel that way about my laptop a bunch of the time too. Hence, I had 3 days worth of blogs to catch up on! ;)

      Delete
  4. I think my reason for not liking the phone is because I hate confrontation and having to initiate conversation with people I don't really care for/about. When I need to make a phone call to fix an issue, say a bill or something, I wait as long as possible...

    If I can settle things through email messages, I'm all over that. I can be much more pleasant and social if I get to do it on my own terms, when I'm ready for it. Being put on the spot sucks.
    ~Sunfire

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey, Sunfire, thanks for the comment! I am not a big fan of the phone confrontation either. When I started at the company I work for now, I was a phone person. I would answer calls all day long, and it seemed like everyone was angry or upset about something. It was exhausting. I will be honest, I cried alot on my drive home, because I was just constantly surrounded by negativity. I got out of that situation as fast as I could, but I think some of the after affects have lingered on.

    ReplyDelete