"Change, when it comes, cracks everything open."
Dorothy Allen

Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Goin' Fishin'

This Sunday, I am going fishing with my dad.  We are doing a charter fishing trip for salmon, just like we did 2 years ago.  I am really looking forward to it.

 
My mom and brother went in on it this year (my dad is impossible to buy for, so everyone always jumps at a good idea.)  I booked it for 2 people, since I didn't want to assume that I would be the one going. 

However, at his birthday dinner, he did ask me to go.  Granted, I told him about 4 times that I was available.  And I brought up how much fun it was last time.  Oh, and did I mention that I was available?  Really, the man had no choice.  I should feel guilty about that.  I kinda do.  But not too much.

 
I think it will be fun, as long as the weather holds out.  Last time, the weather was gorgeous, and we had a terrific time.  We caught fish like crazy for the first 3 hours, and then the last hour was slow, so we got to enjoy the cruise on the boat, the sun, the wind and the company.

 
I have always fished with my dad.  I have lots of memories of fishing when I was a kid.  We caught giant channel cats down in the Whirlpool.  We caught sunfish and crappies in every little stream in our region.  We would fish for bass sometimes, and in the fall we would try and catch the salmon run.  In the winter, we would go ice fishing, in the spring, we would go on the smelt run.


Most of my memories of my dad revolve around fishing.

 
He has been taking my kids fishing.  Neither of them as into it as I was...but I think there were times when my memory of how interested I was in the fishing is a bit inflated.  I know there were times when the sand dunes at Queenston docks beat out waiting for a bite at the end of the pole.   Sawyer is getting to an age where I think it will start being more fun for her.  If she could only learn to keep the hook in the water for longer than a minute or two.


Fishing is a family tradition.  One that I gladly pass on.  I think this summer, I am gonna polish off my poles, dig up some worms, and take my kids fishing.

But Sunday, I am gonna let my dad take his own kid fishing.

Wish us luck.

Rosie N. Grey
The N stands for "nets and hooks, worms and fish".

No comments:

Post a Comment