"Change, when it comes, cracks everything open."
Dorothy Allen

Monday, May 2, 2011

Rosie N. Grey

Someone asked me the other day why I call myself Rosie N Grey on this blog.  The Rosie is pretty obvious- it's my daughter's middle name, and it was my Grandma's name.  They are and were strong influences in my life- obviously in different ways.
I also have the Rosie the Riveter tattoo on my leg.  I love the imagery of that, women being called out of the kitchens and out of their homes to step up and keep a frigging country running.  And they did it.  Women of the 30s and 40s were strong and powerful- amazing.  There is a cord of iron running through many of them, that I respect and admire and can only hope to one day live up to.

But the driving force for the name is from a song, by The Lowest of the Low.  One of the best friends of my life, Tony, introduced me to them.  I CANNOT listen to them, and this song in particular without thinking of him.


Rosie and Grey.  That's me.  Happy, sad.  Confused and driven.  Clear and fuzzy.  I can't listen to this song without crying and smiling at the same time.

Enoy it.

Rosie N. Grey
The N stands for "name game".

No comments:

Post a Comment