"Change, when it comes, cracks everything open."
Dorothy Allen

Saturday, March 3, 2012

Wind

Wow, is it windy today!

We are all out of sorts, even the dog and the cat.  Everyone seems a little on edge, and it will just take the smallest thing to push us over.  Sawyer is quick to cry, Sebastian seems disconnected.  I woke up grumpy and miserable.  Geoff is just quiet and thoughtful.

And the whole time, the soundtrack playing in the background is the wind.  Constant, relentless.

Every once in a while we hear a bang and rush to the windows to see if we lost anything.  I am really worried about my big pine tree in the front yard.  It has lasted this long, but I know, someday, a wind will come that will break it, and down it will come.  Either into the house, the driveway or the power lines running beside us.  So far, today, Mr. Pine is standing strong.  Keep going, big guy.

The dog lays down and whines the whole time.  He can't rest.  He's up and down the stairs and wanting to go out.  I worry, though, because the gate won't stay closed.  He honestly loves the wind. He will sit on the side porch, on the top step, with his eyes closed, face to the wind.  I can only imagine what he reads on it, what he learns.  I just let him out, hopefully not too long.

I feel itchy.  Restless.  There is so much to do, and I can't concentrate enough to do it.  I went for my work out this morning and have felt weird ever since.

Aren't there folk tales about craziness coming on the wind?  Can't it drive people out of their minds?

I can start to hear the birds chirping, over the sound of the blowing.  Maybe that means it is slowing down.  I will focus on that.

Rosie N. Grey
The N stands for "nor'eastern blowin'."

No comments:

Post a Comment