"Change, when it comes, cracks everything open."
Dorothy Allen

Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Simple vs Easy

So, since it is a major focus of my life right now, be prepared to hear a bit about my healthy living changes and challenges.  There.  You have been warned.

As I hit higher and higher numbers of pounds lost (currently at 51-52 lbs, depending on the day!) more and more people are noticing.  Not only are they noticing, but they are getting more comfortable mentioning it to me and asking me questions.  What most people ask is, of course, what am I doing?  Most of them, however, don't really like the answer.  I get that.  TOTALLY.  For 20 years, I wanted the magic pill, the injection, the mind meld...whatever...that would make it work for me.

I wanted something easy.

What I found instead, was something simple.  And learning that those two words, simple and easy, are not one and the same was a difficult lesson.  One that I am still learning. 

So what I do, to try and lose weight is simple.  I cut out junk- sugar, white carbs, dairy, sweets, etc.  I multiplied my intake of veggies and lean protein.  I eat regularly, instead of once a day.  I drink gallons and gallons of water, and very little else.  And I move my body.  Every day.  I sweat.

It's not rocket science.  It's stuff that I have heard time and time again.  Yes, I have a regime and a plan that I follow, because I have found that I need that.  I need structure and people smarter than me to help me understand what to do.  But, at the end of the day, it really is very simple. 

But it sure as hell ain't easy.

I am challenged EVERY SINGLE DAY.  My family still eats pretty much anything they want.  So there is always temptation in my house.  Today, I nibbled cheese.  It was the size of my fingernail, but still, I shouldn't have had it.  I eat veggies and rice and my kids have fries.  I drink water with lemon, Geoff has ice cold bottles of Coke.  I work all day, then play with the kids, then put them to bed, and then start my workouts at 9, 930, 10pm at night.  I go to BBQ's, and eat around my buns.  I got to restaurants, my favorite restaurants, and order salads and egg white omelets.  So, yeah, it ain't easy.

I am currently on my second round of the program.  I was hoping that things would be so much easier this time around.  I have lived through it once already.  It HAS to be easier.  But it's not.  I still have cravings.  I still want things.  I also don't want to exercise every day.  And when I do exercise, it's not a walk in the park.  I still sweat and struggle and blow hard. 

But then, I hit my goal markers along my journey.  Losing 50lbs was one of them.  Losing 53 lbs will be another (for a reason I am not going to share.  :)  I weigh less now than I have weighed in at least 10 years.  All of my clothes are too big, I have to pin my pants to keep them on me.  My mom is going to help me take them in, so I have something to wear.  I honestly have no idea what size I am, but I know I have gone down at least 4 or 5 sizes (probably more).  Even living with the weight loss, while it's great (and I am definitely not complaining!) is not easy. 

So, if you are interested in what I am doing, please feel free to ask me.  I love talking about it.  I am going to tell you about the program and how it works.  It's no miracle cure.  It's basic, simple.

But just know, it's not easy. 

Rosie N. Grey
The N stands for "not easy".

No comments:

Post a Comment