"Change, when it comes, cracks everything open."
Dorothy Allen

Saturday, June 30, 2012

Just like a Bat outta....

So, I have done a couple of posts in the last little while with songs that remind me of my dad.  This one is all about my mom.

I CAN NOT ever listen to Meatloaf, without thinking about my mom.  I love Bat out of Hell.  It's one of my favourite albums of all time.  I can remember being a kid, and looking at the picture on the cover of the vinyl.  it's a naked dude (you don't see anything, pervs!) riding a motorcycle out of a flaming pit in a cemetery.  Very 70s.  VERY awesome.  My mom always played the album on our hugely gigantic record player (the thing had to be 4 or 5 feet long, and at least 4 foot high) when she was in a good mood and cleaning or otherwise occupied in something.  I could curl up, with my feet off the ground so that she could vacuum everywhere, and look at the album.  Study it.

There were 2 other pictures on the album.  I can't remember if they were on the back and the middle, or both in the middle.  They were of Meatloaf and a woman.  In them, she was in a red (I think) dress and he was in a ruffled tuxedo shirt.  He had a scarf.  On second thought, maybe his scarf was red.  Anyway..in the one picture, Meatloaf is facing the camera with the woman right in front of him, facing him.  All you can see is her back and her hair.  He had her hair in his fist.  In the other picture, he is walking towards the camera, and she is again facing away.  His one hand is down and on her ass.

There was something about those photos that struck me.  I don't think too hard on it..I just remember and enjoy it for what it was.

So, anyway, my mom likes to listen to Meatloaf.  It always meant that she was in a good mood.  It meant that she was focussed and driven in what she was doing, whether it was crafting, like knitting or sewing or cross stitching, whether she was cleaning or cooking, or whatever else it might have been.  She was loving it, whatever it was.  The music would fill the air, and I would get to hear her sing along, usually softly, because she is so self-conscious about it.

She still listens to Meatloaf.  She has an iPod now, not the old vinyl, and a CD for the car.

The times may have changed but the music hasn't.

Rosie N. Grey
The N stands for "now, I'm lying at the bottom of a pit, in the blazing sun....."

No comments:

Post a Comment